Sunday, May 16, 2010

Once Again I am a Cat Lady... Woman! Coyote Howled, Cat at my Porch

People start to think I am a Cat Lady... I prefer Cat Woman.

5-16-2010
Baby Boy Orange Kitty... Stray I met today

I got up early today, birds chirping, about 5:30am. I made some decaf coffee (caffeinated only some mornings) with a sprinkle of sugar and a dash of milk, and poured myself some gluten free granola. I was going to go online when suddenly, my 2 kitties and I hear a howling outside. My Tommy cat runs to the slider door with me. We see an adorable orange tabby outside, just a little guy must be maybe, 1 or 2 years old. Oh no I think. I open the door and he meows loudly so I shushed him, in case a coyote is around. I go get my robe and socks on and think, 'What am I doing?' as I went out the door to find the poor guy. With my cat call, 3 pucker sounds, kiss, kiss, kiss. And don't see him. Then again. A faint meow, meow, meow... So after a little look around, I see him. Poor guy, he is timid but friendly. He meows loudly, I can imitate cat calls pretty well, he said, "Mauuurruooo" and came over towards me rolling in the rain gutter by the parked cars in the middle of the parking lot, just like my Johnny cat does. So I gently let him smell my hand and pet him, "Mauuurruooo, mauuurruooo." Really trying to tell me something. He was dirty, with dried muddy paws and black spot on his neck, and a sore on his nose. After I think I gained his trust, I picked him up... nope that didn't work. I had to put him back down... careful with strays. So I try to guide him to my home, that wasn't working. I don't think he belongs to anyone here, or if he does he has been outside far too much, and seemed very much on his own. He was jumpy at every noise, as a truck started... when a crow flew overhead, "Caaw".

I wanted to help him. I went home and got some of my cat's food into an old baby bowl, and went out to find him. He saw me but kept going... I caught up. He came over to me again talking and rolling. He passed on the food. Hmm, he must have eaten something, somewhere already. Bunny? Is someone feeding him? Poor guy. He sprays a bush and checks a tree, I can tell he is not neutered. I follow him and try to pick him up one more time and he turns and hisses. I understand. He walks away. He's going the wrong way, but I realize, that is the life he knows. He still seems on guard while he walks. Bye baby orange kitty. I feel sad for you, who didn't care for you? Did you get lost, or were you left? I hated walking back home unable to help. I prayed for baby orange kitty.

Please adopt and save a pet.  Remember to neuter/spay your pets too.

 -----------------------------------------



My Johnny Cat aka John John
 
My cats were also abandoned or left stray. My August baby Johnny (Tabby, Domestic Short-hair, Maine Coon) was left at an apartment after his original owners moved, as I was told by my friends who brought him home. He was so big! He was a little afraid hiding in some plants. He had gotten out of her home and I was looking for his owner; this is actually how I met my friends. They were planning on taking him to the shelter. I had a baby at the time and was unsure about having an animal yet, though I wanted one (I grew up having had and adored my cats, who have passed that is for another blog). I urged a couple family members, but they didn't want to take in a cat at the time or the financial costs of having one. I felt heartbroken for him. I suddenly noticed on my cat calender that my grandmother gave me, a cat with a face staring right at me, that looked so much like this cat! I want him, maybe he is my cat! I mentioned my want to my new friend. I knew he would be a sweetheart, as I had seen him in a bonnet that my friend's daughter had him dressed in. It was adorable... poor big kitty (15 lbs big). He must be a sweetie. They so kindly gave him to me!
For almost two weeks, he ate and then hid under my bed. I knew he had to adjust and I think he was depressed. Then one night out of nowhere, he was comfortable. He is a big cat so I was a bit startled... he ran in my living room and attacked my rug, lifting up the corners. Though it surprised me, I realized he is playing! Funny boy. I could see finally, he is getting comfortable and trusting me. To this day he is so loyal to me. Based on his personality over the past few years now, I think maybe he was left alone a lot with no other animals... I think he spent most of his time eating and little attention. He does not play a lot, and he is only cuddly in his own time, he loves to eat! But, I don't over feed him. Morning, little extra mid-day snack and dinner, that's it. It's not good to leave too much food out. He likes to play tag/hide and seek. We hide around the corner, he finds. He hides, we find him... tag! Johnny runs. So much fun. Outside, during safer, mid-day sunny hours he lounges in the sun. This is where he lets me cradle him like a big baby rocking side to side. A tree scratch, he looks so awesome and tall. He rolls all around for a belly scratch and plays in the leafy brush a little. I share some sun time with him, but he likes it for hours. I keep my eye out for him. Any animal outside, you have to train and guard too. He knows the parking lot is.. No No.
He is the king of the house, and he is not afraid of small dogs. Yesterday, he leaped and attacked my new neighbor's little dog when it came up to my door investigating and barking at Tommy, then Johnny went in front of the dog, he was going to go inside.. I thought. Instead he was guarding... Johnny didn't back down, he jumped on the poor dog as his owner came over trying to stop her dog. My sweet cat charged! Whoa, I have never seen Johnny look so big and awesome... like National Geographic stuff! I had some water in my hand and splashed it on them trying to stop Johnny. Poor neighbor, I splashed water right on her. Then my Johnny jumped up at the dog in her arms grabbing her leg. He is a gentle loving boy... but he is tough!! Poor neighbor. Her leg was okay. We laughed after. "Sorry about my dog" "Sorry my cat attacked you and I throw water at you". Not a usual way to get to know your new neighbor. Oh the joy of animals. Johnny investigated outside a little... fluffed up with a mohawk. And the little doggy (half Johnny's size) growled peering down from his stairs. Now they are aware of the other's new presence.  Even my Tommy has to deal with the Johnny's the boss factor. But they love each other I think, and Johnny plays with him... only when he wants though.



My Tommy Tom Cat aka Tom Tom
This story coming soon... time for breakfast!

1 comment:

  1. For more about cats:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat

    Cats in danger! Cats are food in Asia and China, also for fur... beware when you clothing tag says Rabbit fur especial if it also says Made in China as it may contain cat and other animal fur. Beware also of wool or any fur for that matter, animals are killed for it, beaten and skinned alive in China.
    http://blog.peta.org/archives/2009/10/10_wool_by_jeff.php
    Love animals! Share this with your friends.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are Moderated and will be posted shortly after review.