Sunday, June 13, 2010

mewithoutYou at Chain Reaction Anaheim, CA June 2010 Music Review Orange County



Went to mewithoutYou show at Chain Reaction in Anaheim, CA. Chain Reaction club - a punk like trashed club decor of graffiti styled walls, textured with A.B.C. gum, and curse words. But how nice the treasure of seeing and hearing an uplifting poetic band play in such a place and such a band as mewithoutYou. I also very much enjoyed Rubik, a band I haven't heard before. They were very instrumentally fun to watch and uniquely played a combination of instruments including maracas and slide trombones, still with a little edgy rock and unique sound lead vocalist. I will be checking out more about them. David Bazan also played, a guitar soloist, though not my taste, some seemed to enjoy.

I first heard mewithoutYou, via online thanks to my brother, this song- and still my favorite song, In a Sweater Poorly Knit. It caught my attention immediately and I have enjoyed their unique music since. I love the album, Brother, Sister and the new album mewithoutYou it's all crazy! it's all false! it's all a dream it's alright is very well done musically and lyrically with deep thought, and uniquely provoking me to dance. They do not claim to be a "Christian band", Aaron Weiss the lead singer is though, and their songs have a Christian message with other influences, and a very unique way of storytelling; a poetically lyrical way to reach their audience. At times, you have to carefully listen to what is being said in their lyrics. Lyrics include a sneaky clever fox, a quick crow, a king beetle, "a Stick, a Carrot, and String".

I am so glad I caught their show and in such a small place as to see them perform a few feet away. It was a joy to see their simple hippie styled motor-home bus (of which they had glued newspapers around the tires), and in a simple small place in an otherwise materialistic Orange County, Cali. I only wish I asked for them to sign my shirt! I look forward to seeing them play again! mwY- hope your coming back soon?!


Click here- Article with more information about mewithoutYou and a good mwY music review



Click here for an interview (2004) with Aaron Weiss (lead singer)

Video below of show June 11, 2010 at Chain Reaction.
From their new album, mewithoutYou it's all crazy! it's all false! it's all a dream it's alright (Tooth and Nail Records): Music Video for: The Fox, The Crow and the Cookie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fRFMkFbH8I

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are Moderated and will be posted shortly after review.