Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Bold, The Bald and the Beautiful Real Women of OC - Southern California

(by omgg_SceneHair - Photobucket)
Orange County residents definitely have a variety of styles. The year round mostly warm weather and modestly cold weather are part of the reason for the casual looks where many a flip flops can be seen. The city life and nearby LA and celebrities could be the reason for the fashionably fashionable. The punks and goths and emos are also thrown in the mix of those seen here. I myself love to add a touch of all styles, sometimes into one look. How is that possible? Let's see to mix the looks you could fashion: bright red hair, a long black skirt with a bright colored top, and hair with bangs wisped across the forehead. Then there is the surfer look. For women this means wearing flip-flops, shorts and surfer brand tops like, Roxy (the female version of Quicksilver surf brand). There is also a lot of Mexican culture here too. I'd have to say those from Mexico bring their own styles to Southern California, from casual to my favorite: eyeliner accented eyes and bold color fashionable dresses. Most people in OC dress very casual and some strut their stuff in what looks like they just purchased from a model magazine or right off a mannequin. Some dress too skimpy, like short short shorts, that look like "Boyshorts" underwear, and I can't help but think, "Come on put some pants on!" I like short shorts but, make sure the butt is covered and not like swimsuit type coverage. Some are seen, mostly in the Summer months, wearing a bathing suit, or shorts and a bikini top even walking by or in the store, this is not often, but occasionally. It's acceptable, but only when it really is hot enough and you look like you just took a swim or came from the beach, or are actually at the beach. Otherwise, I think again, "Come on, put some clothes on!" Most fashionable or casual women are seen in flip-flops or flats, some in sneakers, though some in totally too high heels. High heeled women can even be seen grocery shopping or walking kids to school- which I assume walking by choice in heels must be for attention or show?

(Chrisac118 - photobucket)
Today I saw a variety of women worth noting. A young mother outside with here little guy wearing lounge wear and flip flops, but still a cute little bow clip in her hair, while just outside her home. Her clothes showed she was lounging today, but her bow said I still look good. Another casual look I saw was a woman walking into the store with a cute little tank dress accented with layers of lace in the front and layered over a tank top, she was pushing a cart with a child. She looked like a pretty casual mother. Coming out of Wal-mart was a beautiful tall woman who wore a long, sleeveless brightly colored floral dress and heels, as I walked by her on my way in Wal-mart, I noticed she also fashioned a pedicure with a design too. All different types of people I notice here in So Cal on a daily basis from casual to fashionably dressy.

(Betsey Johnson Store in California - by muddzvonslatt - Photobucket)

(Nail Polish; Love_Cady- Photobucket)
I consider myself some "wear" in between. A little fashion, a little casual, like my jean shorts and a Betsey Johnson top layered over a tank, and medium heeled flip-flops. (Betsey Johnson: my favorite Good Stuff designer ever! For better price deals buy at discount stores like Marshall's or eBay.) I like dressing up to a degree, I don't go out a whole lot, if I did I'd probably dress up more. I also like my nails done, I do them myself, but who has time really, maybe if you don't have kids? Maybe if you have a maid, butler or help of some type. I like to paint my nails usually in black or some color and come up with different designs and this I do very cheaply, cause I do it myself. At the (Good Stuff) Dollar Tree, they have nail polish called Art Deco with all sorts of colors and priced at 1 dollar each, it's easy to have a nice collection. (Tip: heat bottles first to make it easier to apply and the nail polish thinner.) These nail polishes have longer thin brushes for designing. There are stick on nail polish designs also available at some stores, but expensive to keep up. So far I have painted my nails like Zebra (or white tiger) stripes, and I have painted my nails black with red stripes with little heart accents on a couple nails, and my latest creation, black with red hearts, diamond, and even a spade for a "Queen of Hearts"/Poker Hand look. :) Currently, my nails are all half black, cause I am typing more then painting. I am a busy girl! Pampering is not on my list, if I had one, of top priority!

(Breast cancer awareness image by, LungCancerAwareness - Photobucket)
Anyway, back to real OC women, so I  know someone that has just gone through chemotherapy, she has lost her hair and is now waiting for the signs to show that her hair is coming back. Her head wardrobe has primarily been a beanie. Today, I could not help but notice another woman, she was dressed casually in a T-shirt, shorts, and flip flops, stylin shades, make-up and earrings, but, no hair. Not Sinead O'Conner and copycat Britney Spears shaved, but bald. Either she was opting for the look, or she quite possibly was also in the wait for the return of her hair due to chemo. Anyway, I was noticing how bold she was, her head held up straight, and the casualness about her in how she seemed to carry herself as she got a grocery cart and entered the store to do her shopping. She could've opted for a scarf or head wrap like most, a hat or a wig, but she didn't. She was bald and that's the way it was going to be, she seemed to say without saying. Somehow, her baldness made me admire her strength. Could I be that bold? She did have a good shaped head, mines not so shaped well and my ears stick out! If I had to, since I've had bright hair before, my boldness would be brightly colored wigs! I would so rock it!

Keep it real, be your fashionable self, whatever you like. It's not about labeling or wearing the best designer labels either. Us beach city girls don't all look or act the same.

<3 Alysa Good Stuff


Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are Moderated and will be posted shortly after review.